07 November 2003

[Tenuous Linkage Warning]

Back in 1999 Lydia Lunch used to write an 'alternative' sex advice column for webzine gettingit, answering bizarre kink-related questions such as the one below with skill and flair using her massive knowledge and experience of such things.

-

Dear Lydia,

My boyfriend wants to screw every part of my body except the obvious. One night it's under my arms, the next behind my knees, then it's the crook of my neck. Sometimes he cups my feet in lotus position and creams my toes. He humps the small of my back. Or he has me squeeze my thighs together and comes all over them. He always finishes me off with his mouth, which is glorious, but occasionally, even the most adventurous woman likes a little old-fashioned missionary. Please, decode his trip for me.

-

Curious? You should be...

I was briefly enamoured with her work for a period last year during which I read her autobiographical novel Paradoxia and purchased a double CD of her musical collaborations with various great peoples, including Sonic Youth, who are like one of my favourite bands in the whole wide wurld. I saw them at manchester academy, don't you know...



One of the song that appears on the double CD is a collaboration with Nick Cave - a cover of 'some velvet morning' by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra. The original was used on the sound-track of Lynne Ramsay's superlative Movern Callar, which is one of the best films I've ever seen to feature ecstasy, and has a bitching soundtrack.