19 January 2004

feed the voices...

there is a man, a student. He writes. he writes the noise out of his head - a mishmash of media samples and other things, his self-concious, screaming. In the opening scene we see him sat on a bus, we are hearing the noise in his head - a montage of naked lunch and merzbow. He gets more and more tense, pyschotically angry, He holds the pen in his hand like a knife. he stares at the man opposite him. He does not like him one bit, something about his demeanor, his manner. It could be anything. He leaps at him, stabbing him repeatedly in the neck, the attck shot in disorientating montage, drawn out, inserts cut between the closeups. When the deed is done and the victim lays slumped dead, covered in blood, our protagonist stands tense, sweat glistening, breathing heavily through his nostrils. Everybody on the bus is looking at him, nobody daring to say a word. He looks around, his head snapping back and forth as he takes in the faces. The bus pulls up to a stop, our protagonist gets off.

Later. Fade from black, quiet, low, long-wave radio static on the soundtrack, a closeup of our protagonist, his head on a desk, surrounded by books, face sideways. Everything is out of focus. He is asleep but soon wakes up. The frame slowly comes into his focus. His eyes slowly open. He has been sleeping on the pages of his notebook, his pen closeby, caked in dried blood. He pulls himself slowly fully concious like a butterfly hatching from a cacoon. He looks down on what he has written. A _voice_ recites it in his head. He gathers up his notebook and pen and takes for the corridors.

He roams the corridors of the university, listening to the soundtrack in his head. He watches patterns of artificial lighting dance across panes of glass. He runs his hands along the walls, feeling the texture. the camera flies along corridors, up stairs, through doors. the soundtrack continues to change...

--

We have to write a three minute script. The idea is we form production groups, everybody writes a screenplay, hands it in for assessment, then it is down to the group to choose which of the scripts gets made and then handed in. Seems kinda lame to me as everybody is going to want to make their own screenplays. In the end it is going to come down to compromise and with the overabundance of fragile egos on this course I have a feeling that alot of people will encounter problems, not to mention creative differences and hurt feelings. I'm not exactly sure what mine is going to be yet. I've had one idea but after going over it in my head have decided I can do better. The above treatment sample is for an idea I've been batting about in my head for a good couple of months. When I mentioned it to sion I called it 'an allegory for the writing process' for when you've overdosed on too much Burroughs, which we both have at one time or another. I thought it was quite a good description myself, if not pretensiously hip. It would rely heavily on subjectivity and sound montage and, I think, at this stage in my film-making education, would be a big hassle to do right now. Anyway, I was going to make it five, ten minutes long, not three. I definately want to make it, a homage to all my favourite grainy fucked up black and white films; tetsuro, pi, eraserhead, and a whole host of others. It's not very original, I know, but it's something I want to experiment with. I'm sure I'll have time for originality later...