30 January 2004

I was watching Bruce Almighty because it was lying around the house and I needed something to watch while I woke up (late night/morning) and it occurred to me that the role of God (played in this paticular film by Morgan Freeman) has probably appeared in quite alot of movies. After doing a query at the IMDB I got 259 results. Not all of those are, you know, the jedeo-christian variety, I mean there are other religions, plus the whole greek/roman/pagan mythology thing and I don't really have to time to go through them all and tally up the results, but what I found most interesting was the disparity in the sexes of the people who played these roles. There were 221 results that were male, but only 37 that were female. I think this shows a disgusting bias that needs to be redressed. I demand equality in the sexes when it comes to 'God' roles. Of course, it could be a whole male-ego thing, and maybe women generally aren't attracted to god roles but I honestly think that this needs to be discussed in an open forum... Or maybe I'm just fucking around, I can't tell right now.

Just for the record, my favourite 'God' role was Alanis Morisette in Dogma. Tee Hee.