10 August 2004

Always out-numbered, Never out-gunned

I have gotten my grubbby little mitts on a copy of the new prodigy album, which of course is already online, even though it's not due in the stores for another ten days.

The prodigy have a very special place in my heart. I was into rave music (now called old skool) back in the day. Despite being way too young to actually go raving, I experienced it vicariously through various older people I knew. 'Music for the Jilted Generation' was the first album I ever brought and I own 'Out of Space' on vinyl. Needless to say I have been awaiting a new album with baited breath for many years, so this is a big deal for me.

I have the upmost respect for the prodigy, and especially Liam Howlett. When Firestarter hit the charts and went to number one Top of the Pops wanted the prodigy to come on the show and perform the hit (despite TOTPs ridiculous lip-synching policy) -
The bands answer? They went snow-boarding, basically telling the hype-merchant muso press, and TOTPs, to go to fuck themselves. Does that not demand respect?

I pretty much owe my initiation into HipHop to liam, not just for his heavy use of hiphop breakbeats in his music, but also for his awesome old skool hiphop mix CD DirtChamber Sessions, which remains awesome to this day.

So? What's the album like?

Well.

Those expecting things along the lines of Fat of the land will be disappointed. This ain't fat of the land 2, although it is a progression along from that sound. There ain't no Firestarter on this album. In fact, there ain't no Keith Flint on this album (Just like there wasn't on Experience or Jilted Generation). The first thing I noticed was the break-beats - heavy as fuck. Sweet.

This album is pretty eclectic in it's sampling sources, although alot of them aren't really samples but maybe re-recordings of samples. I swear 'That's just the way it is' features a bass stab from Michael Jackson's Thriller and I know for a fact that the guitar riff and line of lyrics in 'Phoenix' are from Love Buzz, by shocking blue (not the vaselines as I was reporting - chalk that one up to my faulty memory), and covered by nirvana on Bleach. Weird, no?

There are couple of tracks on here that I could say are my favourites. 'Action Radar' features a sample which I know subconciously from old-skool, and is absolutely pumping. Gimmie some MDMA and I'll show you. Another favourite of mine is 'Get up Get off' with the lyric "You gotta get up, if you wanna get off." - Truer words have never been spoken. The track 'Wake Up', which is without a doubt meant as a reminder to the world that the prodigy rock and are back to fuck your shit up, features none other than kool keith on lyrics. Sweetness.

I will be buying this album when it comes out. I have to. The prodigy were my first love, and I still love them to this day. I owe so much to them, including the fact that I can say smugly that 'Music for the Jilted Generation' was the first album I ever brought, which brings major kudos btw.



Not only that, but they really are back on form, not that they've ever been off form - ever. Every album a work of electronic art, Whether it be the old skool techno sound of The Prodigy Experience, or the nasty darkness and heavy hiphop breakbeats of Jilted Generation, to which this album has more in with than the infinately catchy and subversive Fat of the Land. These guys have never lost their touch, they've just been on extended sibatical. They're back now, and the world better watch out.


Oooh... I hope they play Cardiff when they tour.