25 August 2004

Little Death scene.... the later

Here is the other scene I wrote for Little Death. The intertexuality that occurs here, which I'm quite proud of, is in the anecdote Trent tells Elsbeth, which is actually the plot from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.


#. INT: TRIPLE MEAT PALACE (A FAST FOOD CHAIN)
6:13 EVENING


TRENT: You ever wonder what the secret ingredient in the Triple Meat Spectacular® is?

ELSBETH: I can't say I have.

TRENT: (between mouthfuls): 's meat...

ELSBETH: huh?

TRENT: You see, the triple meat spectacular, at least the supposed meat in it, consists of nothing more than textured vegetable extract with added rendered beef fat for flavour....

ELSBETH: hmmm... That doesn't really sound like something that is public knowledge...

TRENT: well, it isn't, it's a secret. Hence 'Secret Ingredient'.

ELSBETH: but you know...

TRENT: yes, I know.

ELSBETH: and you know because?

TRENT: well, when I was in college, scraping an existence on ramen and stir-fry, staying out all night and sleeping through my lectures it was necessary for me to take a part time job in order to pay my fees. Not all of us have wealthy parents living in New York.

ELSBETH: Huh

TRENT: so anyway, I took a job at my local Meat Palace, working the graveyard and occasional day shift, in between lecturers and parties. I spent many an hour slaving over a grinder, and frying burgers and onions. Constantly surround by this... smell. This smell that penetrated every orifice of my body. It drove me crazy... It didn't quite smell RIGHT. Like it wasn't quite meat or something, like... I dunno. Anyway, after a long night shift spent pondering, among other things, the origins of the meat patties I'd been grilling all night I decided I would once and for all find out WHAT they were. So I took a burger over to a friend of mine who was studying chemistry and asked him to run an analysis on it. You know what he found?

ELSBETH: That the burger wasn't meat?

TRENT: Uh-huh. It wasn't.

A SILENT PAUSE

ELSBETH: So then what?

TRENT: what do you mean?

ELSBETH: Well, what did you do with your new found forbidden knowledge?

TRENT: nothing, my curiosity had been quenched.

ELSBETH: Didn't you tell anyone?

TRENT: No...

ELSBETH: why not?

TRENT SHRUGS.

ELSBETH: You tell the most pointless stories.

THEY EAT SILENTLY. TRENT IS UNEASY AND FIDDGETS A LITTLE.

ELSBETH: What's bugging you?

TRENT: The body...

ELSBETH: the one that they found in the turnpike?

TRENT: yeah... I knew him. I mean, I knew who he was.

ELSBETH: Really?

TRENT: yeah... His name was Jimmy, he was drug dealer. Used to sell me bennies when I needed to pull an all nighter.

ELSBETH: Bennies?

TRENT: Amphetamines.

ELSBETH: Ah....

TRENT: Well, they haven't identified him yet, and I'm wondering whether I should come forward... The thing is I don't want to.....

ELSBETH: incriminate yourself?

TRENT: Yeah.

ELSBETH: then don't. They'll figure out who he is sooner or later.

ELSBETH TURNS VERY PALE

TRENT: are you okay?

ELSBETH: Feel kinda faint....

TRENT: I'll drive you home, you never should of gotten out of bed.

ELSBETH: Oh, really? Should I of just left the lab in your capable hands?

TRENT: and why not?

ELSBETH: You don't even know what day it is half the time.

TRENT: That doesn't mean I'm a bad Forensic Scientist.

ELSBETH: no, just that you make a pretty lousy human being.

TRENT: Fuck you.

ELSBETH: You wish.