23 October 2004

Toronto wanderings....

The first thing I noticed when I hit downtown Toronto was all the street kids lounging on the edges of the pavement, in between trees, basking in the sun. It took real effort on my part not to sit down with them and break open a can of beer. Maybe I shouldn't of bothered, maybe I should of just given in to the temptation, but it's too late to be thinking about that shit now, all these months after the fact.

Whilst on Queen I picked up a zine called Saint Elsewise - a zine dedicated to strangeness, discordian quips and transient street life. This paticular issue contained an interesting interview with a girl called Lisa. I've been in contact with the creator, Robert Thomas Payne, negotiating the republishing of said interview on l∅ckedinab∅x but due to various factors: me being easily distracted and somewhat slack, he seemingly not being in the same place for very long, this has taken much longer than expected. But, It's all typed out now!

Mr Elsewise has asked me to point you in the direction of here and here for a little more insight into the whole literate homeless zine-publishing canadian-toronto thing. If you'd like to pick Mr Payne's brain a little you can email him at catmanndo_2000ATyahoo.ca

And now for the interview. I must apologise for certain gaps in the narrative of the dialogue. That's the problem with photocopy publishing!

* * *

'Tis been awhile since I've done an interview with someone. However, recently I sat down with someone who is experiencing the life...Lisa, who has already done a fair bit of traveling and wants to do more. Here is what we discussed.

*

Robert: so, are you from Toronto?

Lisa: No, I'm from Edmonton.

Robert: So, what brings you to Toronto?

Lisa: A weird series of events and lots of hitchhiking.

R: How long have you been here?

L: Off and on for about two and a half years.

R: were you living on the streets in Edmonton?

L: No.

R: so, you've done a lot of traveling?

L: Constantly.

R: You're a young lady on the streets of Toronto, how does that feel?

L: Uh, pretty safe, I'm usually with a group of friends.

R: Would you say it's like a "street family"?

L: I'd asy it's pretty much a sub-culture and most of the people... [TEXT OBSCURED]

R: When you say sub-culture do you mean that it's a Distinct part of society?

L: Well, it is a part of society but we sort of have our own ways of doing things, our own ways of making money and interacting that's different from the mainstream.

R: so, you say there really in an underground?

L: (laughs) well, I don't know about that but there's definately people underground.

R: do you ever get harassed for being part of this "sub-culture"?

L: I don't really get harassed on the street... like, the odd person might say "get a job!" while walking by but I just look at it as being their opinion. The only ones who really harass me are my family.

R: I guess that's always been a reason why some end up on the streets: "differences with their family"...would you say that most people on the streets of Toronto are not from Toronto?

L: Yeah, most of the people I've met on the streets of Toronto are not from Toronto for sure.

R: What's the big attraction?

L: It's just that it's such a big place that no matter who you are or what you are into you will find what you are looking for here.

R: So there is a lot of traveling involved with the "Street life", at least for the younger ones, I guess that leads to reunions in unexpected places?

L: Yeh, pretty much everywhere in the country you run into somone that you know.

R: Is street life pretty much the same in every city?

L: Well, every city has it's own vibe, the people are into different things so you have to adjust to the vibe.

R: I guess different cities are also different for the services they provide for the poor?

L: For sure!! Some have more than others, like Toronto has lots of resources which is good and the smaller places... [MORE TEXT OBSCURED]

L: probably in some people's eyes but to myself I am just living the journey of life.

R: What have you learned from the streets that you didn't know before?

L: I'd have to say that I've learned that all paths in life lead nowhere so you haqve to follow your heart to be happy.

R: I guess there have been both good and bad days. Could you describe a bad day?

L: A bad day for me is being wet and cold and feeling lonely.

R: what would be a good day?

L: a good day is hanging out with friends just sitting around laughing and listening to music.

R: is it hard to find a home when you are homeless?

L: well, it's sort of hard when you're all dirty and some landlords are skeptical.

R: if you were to meet someone who had just become homeless for the first time what advice would you give?

L: I would just let them know where all the resources are and tell them to trust their gut instincts... [TEXT OBSCURED]

R: Would you say females have an easier time panning?

L: (smiles) yes.

R: so what kind of places as a homeless person do you stay?

L: well, i'm not going to be specific but, under bridges, in alleyways, abandoned buildings... anywhere dry and out of the way.

R: so, it's an adventure?

L: every day.

R: would you recommend this life to those who haven't tried it?

L: Well I can say that it will open your eyes.

R: Open your eyes? To what?

L: to what is truly necessary in this life and it teachs you a lot about yourself cuz everyday you're faced with all kinds of stuff you have to deal with... in life, chaos is vital!

R: are you rebelling?

[REST OF INTERVIEW CUT OFF]