02 February 2005

There was a screening of Buster Keaton's film Sherlock Jr. yesterday. It's the first time I've ever seen a Buster Keaton film and I gotta admit I was totally blown away. You can see why he's hailed as a genius; the timing and ingunuity he exhibits would make any creative person blush. He's replaced Charles Chaplin (who just seems lazy and slow in comparison) as my favourite silent movie star. As soon as I'm done with all the videos I got out from the library yesterday I'm ODing on Buster Keaton films.

I'm reading that biography I just linked to and during the shooting of Sherlock Jr, in a scene where Keaton is running on top of train, he aparently falls and breaks his neck but, not realising what he has done, gets up and carries on with the scene.

"It was years before he discovered what had given him those awful headaches."