18 July 2005

everybody got the Potter mania....

From my 26 year old scallie cousin to my 16 year old mosher sister. It seems like everybody in the world has been on the edge of their seats for the release of the 6th Harry Potter novel.

Even me, but not for the same reason I'm sure. I promised my mum the new book for her birthday back when I was completely broke and unable to buy her a present without sinking myself further into debt. I can say, with a certain amount of pride, that I have never read a harry potter book.

It's not that I think they're shite, or that I look down my nose at children's books or the fantasy genre, I just don't like things being forced down my throat by anybody, least of all the general populus or the "money and hype" machine that is the mass media.

But it's getting to that point, you know? Six books, three films, and an equal amount of video game tie-ins later and I'm getting curious. I am an avid reader, after all, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find the characters or the motif appealing. I CAN ONLY GO AGAINST THE GRAIN FOR SO LONG IN THE FACE OF THIS LITERARY ONSLAUGHT!

So, this is my admitance to the world that at some point I am going to start reading the strange opus that is harry potter.

Every single post on the guardian's culture vulture blog at the moment, except for two, is Potter related. Madness.